Snapchat doesn’t allow users to change their usernames or transfer account data, memories between usernames. This post will guide you on how to work around those obstacles by changing your Snapchat display name or creating a new account and saving your friends’ usernames to add them to your new account.
Can You Change Your Snapchat Username Without Making A New Account?
You can’t change your username without deleting your Snapchat account and creating a new one with your desired username. You can, however, adjust your Snapchat display name at any time in the mobile app on your iPhone or Android.
Your Snapchat username is set when you first create your Snapchat account. It’s not possible to change your Snapchat username without deleting it, and this is for security reasons, according to the Snapchat support team. It’s also impossible to transfer account data, Memories, or Snapstreaks from one username to another.
You can only change your Snapchat display name or delete your Snapchat account if you’re uncomfortable with your Snapchat username. But even before we come to how to change your display name, I would like us to know the difference between a Snapchat “Display Name” and a “Snapchat Usename.”
Snapchat Display Name Vs. Username
On Snapchat, you have two different names. The first is a Username, the fixed name associated with your account, and the Display Name, which is how you appear to others on Snapchat. You only see your Username, but the Display name is public to your friends whenever you send snaps to them.
Your “Display Name” is how you appear on Snapchat — it’s different from your username! You can customize your Display Name whenever you like but not with the Username.
If you want to make any changes to your Snapchat account, try changing the Display name instead. For your friends will not see your Username but your Snapchat Display name. The following steps will help you change your Snapchat display name on both Android and iOs.
How To Change Your Snapchat Display Name
As mentioned earlier, you can only change your Snapchat display name but not the Username. Your Username remains the same, but it’s hardly visible to your friends.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Open Snapchat and select your profile/Bitmoji icon in the upper-left corner of the screen.
2. Select the gear icon in the upper-right corner to go to your Settings.
3. Select Name.
4. Enter a new display name in the Name box.
5. Tap Save.
The name you save in the Name field appears in your friends’ chats and stories instead of your Username. And the only time a friend might see your Username is if they view your profile during a chat (which shows your Snapcode, name, Username, snap score, and chat emojis) or select your Display Name when they search for friends.
Can You Change Your Snapchat Username?
Yeah! Another method you can change your Snapchat username is by creating a brand new account with the username in mind. We will use a different email address to create our new Snapchat account in this method.
If you create a new Snapchat account, you lose data from your old account, including your current Snapcode, snap score, snap streaks, best friends, conversations, and trophies you earned. However you can also recover your Snapchat account if later change your mind.
Here’s how to save your friends’ Snapchat names and create a new Snapchat account:
- First, sign in to your Snapchat account.
- Now head to settings and locate sign out by scrolling down.
- Tap on the sign-out.
- Now select the signup option and fill in the asked details but use a different email address from the current Snapchat account.
- Now, head to your profile and tap on add friends option.
- Then, wait a while after tapping the Continue button.
- Click on the OK button and enable Snapchat so that Snapchat can get access to your contacts.
- Login to your previous Snapchat account and head to its profile.
- Tap on My friends and select users. You will see their username appear on the popup screen.
- Add remaining friends.
- Again, sign in to your new account, then add different versions or add your username.
- Once you are done fixing these necessary changes, you can permanently delete the old account.