Think of any couple in your neighborhood whose love you relish. Parents, co-workers, neighbors, or people whose tender relationships have survived year after year. Inspiring reverence for their deep caring commitment and joy.
Successful relationships have related features and qualities. However, sharing your life with another person can be a challenge, if you don’t have a lot of encounters with relationships.
Any relationship built on feelings will hit the rock of divorce. We don’t get into a relationship based on feelings. A lot of relationships are collapsing because of how the other partner feels. “I feel like my partner is cheating on me”
Love alone does not contribute to a healthy relationship, there are other factors you need to consider. Below are the 5 essential keys to help make your relationship or marriage successful.
1. Invest In Your Marriage Or Relationship
Anytime we hear about investment, what comes to mind is money. If you don’t invest, you’re missing out on opportunities to increase your financial worth. People concentrate on investing more in businesses than in their relationships. It isn’t unusual for people to make time and effort to attend a business seminar to increase their job productivity, or to attain any other skills in life. Let me beseech you, when was the last time you took time away to work on your marriage relationship?
Ways to invest in your marriage or relationship
- Start reading books about love and relationships together with your partner.
- Attend a marriage retreat together with your partner.
- Saying ‘I love you‘ often.
- Surprise each other with charitable gifts.
- Find a mentor couple to spend time with.
2. Build Your Relationship Based On Commitment.
You’re in love with someone and luckily enough that person loves you back. Love and commitment don’t come easily, and no matter how much you love each other, things can always go wrong.
- Commitment is what it takes for a relationship to work, not feelings.
- Commitments overlook mistakes but feelings don’t compromise.
- Commitment makes you loyal while feelings let you get hurt.
- Take commitment not feelings, because feelings can change at any time.
Ways to stay committed to your partner.
- Making long term plans: Give some time to plan your future together. This could mean planning a holiday together, looking to buy a house together, or even starting to plan your wedding if you are ready to take that step. Share your ultimate career plans and consider the goals and dreams that you want to accomplish.
- Love unconditionally: To be committed means, to love the person unconditionally without any conditions. Everyone has a past, therefore, you need to make peace with their past and accept the person the way they are and love them for it.
- Just be there for each other: The most important matter in every relationship is to get someone whom you can share your problem with. Your partner should always feel like they can turn to you for comfort and advice. Be right there when they are down and comfort them with encouragement.
- Always stick to the truth: Your partner should have an exact picture of the person that they are thinking of spending their life with. If they find out that you have been lying to them or not telling them the ample truth, it will hurt because you’re that one person that they trust more than anyone else. You don’t want to change that!
- Learn how to compromise: A relationship will never work if you don’t compromise with one another. No one enjoys living with a partner who holds “it’s either my way or the highway.” Do you always feel like the doormat when it comes to making decisions with your partner? Either way, a compromise between partners is important to the existence of harmony, ever-growing love, and continued respect for one another. Learn how to start compromising in your marriage or relationship.
3. Don’t Chat More Than You Talk
Having good communication in a relationship is truly having a partner who talks to you, who is a good listener, and a good friend, who honours you for who you are and makes some effort to make the relationship work. There is nothing more annoying than addressing a problem while someone’s checking Snapchat or when a phone call comes in. The best part of a relationship is when your partner tells you, ‘Babe, we need to fix this problem’ rather than overlooking it.
Real caring relationships are not going to be ideal all the time, but how you address life’s challenges together with your partner is a good way to measure the relationship love and commitment.
Don’t chat more than you talk when the argument is over. When you become addicted to texting, you’re limiting the oil of emotional connection in your relationship. Talk to your partner concerning that issue, rather than texting an apology. Communication builds trust and it has emotional connections. The more you talk to your partner, the greater the affection and the healthy the relationship.
I know what it feels like when you think you’re the problem in the communication equation. This leads us to the next key.
4. Think Before You Speak
We are all guilty of this, so don’t feel bad if you realize all the words you said to your partner during that argument. Thinking before you speak is an important skill to master in all kinds of situations. Not only in your relationship, but it can also enable you to express yourself more adequately. Learning how to think before speaking is an acquired skill that needs time to develop correctly. Every person has felt the shame of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, especially during an argument.
Before you speak to your partner, use this ‘THINK’ acronym to conclude whether what you have to say would be necessary.
T-Reflect on what you are about to say and ask yourself if it’s the truth.
H-Decide whether those words can be helpful to your partner, if not, then stay silent.
I-Go ahead in your speaking, if you want to inspire, compliment, appreciate or motivate your partner.
N-Speak if what you’re about to say is necessary. It is better to give advice or speak up to prevent something bad from happening.
K-Consider if what you’re about to say is kind. If it’s worth it, go ahead and speak up. If not, don’t say anything. “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
5. Compliment A Lot
Complimenting your partner on little things is a binding factor in a successful relationship. Telling your partner you appreciate and value them can be challenging. Every person desires to experience affection and compliments differently.
Showing appreciation to your partner is an important daily practice to nurture a healthy relationship. However, don’t underestimate your partner based on education, religion, or any other standards. Never compare your partner to others; love them the way they are and appreciate him or her for being in your life.
Also read: How To Build Yourself Confidence
Ways to show appreciation to your partner.
- Saying ‘Thank you’ regularly
Deliberately saying ‘thank you’ to your partner more often to show him or her your gratitude. Try and say it loud and more often. You don’t know how that appreciation can transform your partner’s view of responsibilities.
- Cooking a special dinner.
Set aside a little time to prepare a home-cooked meal for your partner. It can be that ideal meal or a recipe he or she is dying for.
- A warm welcome to connect.
Affection is powerful for a healthy relationship. Your touch, at the right time, can communicate appreciation. Give your partner a deem appreciative hug when he or she is back from work.
- Make some small sacrifices.
Successful marriages and relationships are all about serving. Attempt to show some recognition by giving. Avoid being a ‘taker’, give selflessly without awaiting anything in return. The point of the small sacrifice is to show your partner that you appreciate them enough to put their needs and desires ahead of your own sometimes.
If you are truly bound to and in love with your partner, all of these keys should feel familiar to you. The happiest couples are maintained by these successful keys. Follow these essential keys to have a successful relationship; you will not only be able to save your relationship or marriage from divorce, but also be able to enjoy a highly successful one.
Leave a comment below with one of the relationship goals you and your partner are planning to set for.